CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Spring Addition

Well, life around here has been life as usual  - INSANE and CHAOTIC!  You gotta love being a new teacher... and having two little kids of your own... and a husband in the military who is always deployed or away training.  School is busy too - May means its time to start preparing for final report cards and making sure that we get everything done that needs to be done by the end of the year and you all know how it is.  On other notes, my husband has been transferred, and as of July, we will be moving to Ontario.  I love kindergarten, and would love to get a job there teaching K, but any job would be nice.  Moving is so nerve wracking, but I hope it all goes okay! 

Anyway, in class, we have started adding.  I have a few kids who are really struggling with the concept still, but most picked it up super fast.  Here are two activities that we did to practice our adding... The first was inspired by the wonderful Fran over at Kindergarten Crayons.  We drew flowers in the flower pots and added them together.  This was an easy way to differentiate, because I simply told them to impress me with their best.  Some kids did huge two digit numbers while others did 2 + 2 and I thought it was super for them.  The ladybug sheet also allowed them to use different strategies, depending on where they were at - some had to count each spot individually still, some used counting on, and some used their subitizing skills and mental math.  I am impressed at how great they are getting!  Grab the sheets here if you want, and let me know if you grab a copy for your class :o)



1 comment: